It’s true that you haven’t had a bagel unless you have been to New York. Maybe it’s something in the water, who knows. Fair warning though, once you have had a New York style bagel it will ruin all other bagels for you.
Because it isn’t practical to overnight bagels from Long Island I recently made an attempt at recreating the taste of the New York in my own kitchen. For a first go at making bagels I was really happy with how they turned out!
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F or 45 degrees C)
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- This is where you can get creative! I chose to make a mix of everything, plain, and cinnamon sugar. Whichever you decide to do be sure to bake unique flavors separate.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour and yeast.
- Mix water, 3 tablespoons sugar and salt together with the dry ingredients.
- Beat with a mixer for half a minute at a low speed.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl clean then beat at a higher speed for 3 minutes. T
- Next, by hand, mix in remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (8-10 minutes.)
- Shape into a ball and cover dough with a damp cloth.
- Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut into 8 portions, shape into smooth balls. Poke a hole in the center with your finger as you continue to shape and work the bagel into a circular shape.
- Cover again and let rise 20 minutes.
- Place in refrigerator for 3 hours to allow dough time to proof.
- Once proofing is complete start boiling water.
- Mix sea salt and baking soda in water.
- When the bagels are ready, put 1 bagels into the water at a time. Cook 1 minute then rotate. Cook for one more minute before draining.
- Top bagels with toppings of choice. (Tip: if using dehydrated garlic and onion be sure to re-hydrate in a bit of water as to make sure they won’t burn in oven.)
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper,
- Place bagels on sheet and bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Rotate pan and bake for 8-10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow 15 – 20 minutes to cool before cutting into bagels.